Preschool Director - Job Description
Christ Lutheran Church (CLC Preschool) is a Christ-Centered, part-time early childhood education ministry for children 15 mos. thru 5 years old. CLC Preschool provides quality early childhood educational experiences for young children to grow spiritually, emotionally, cognitively, and physically. To see the children, mature in their skills, socialization, and faith is all-important and central to our preschool's mission. We would love to have you join us and lead us in this mission!
The Preschool Director is responsible for administering the preschool program in accordance with the state, and federal standards for Registered Ministry, Voluntary Certification Program (VCP), and Paths to Quality (PTQ) Level 3. The Preschool director oversees all aspects of the program including personnel management, educational goals, budgeting, recordkeeping, calendar, marketing, safety, building maintenance and interfacing with the church staff and volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Report to the Pastor of the Church and is accountable to the Preschool Board and Governance Board via the Partners in Ministry team.
- Serves an ex-officio member of the Preschool Board: defines strategic goals, and prepares reports and items for discussion or vote in coordination with the Preschool Board Chair.
- Promote the preschool in community and provide education and engagement opportunities to parents to help their children flourish (electronic newsletters, social media, events etc.)
- Ensure the preschool follows a developmentally appropriate Christian curriculum in accordance with the philosophy and goals of the school, Church, and good early childhood education practice.
- Recruit staff and provide professional development and feedback on lesson plans and teaching.
- Keep staff and student paperwork current. Administer policy and procedures in accordance with state requirements for the VCP/Registered Ministry and PTQ standards.
- Follow Covid 19 Response plan and follow current best practice for health and safety of the school and facility.
- Oversee financial management for preschool: tuition, budget, payroll, purchases, grant writing etc. with overall budget approvals by the Preschool Board, Governance Board and Congregation.
- Director must have the minimum of a CDA, preferred bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education or Early childhood Education (at least 12 credit hours in early Childhood related coursework) and leadership experience. Certificate/Transcripts are required for review.
- At least 3 years teaching experience (preferable in early childhood) and knowledge of child development from 15 mos. to 5 years and 1 year as a Director (preferred or otherwise demonstrated).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Passion for families with young children and giving support to the parents.
- Ability to lead, instill enthusiasm and encourage a teaching team. Recognize a variety of teaching gifts and practices.
- Comfort with technology and learning Procare, our child & school management system.
- Understanding of the Christian faith and willingness to share that with others.
- Pass drug and criminal checks as required by the State of Indiana.
- Current physical and TB shot.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds and interact with children at their level.
Upon hire - training if not already completed (additional requirements may be necessary based on current regulations – any costs covered by Preschool)
- First aid, Universal Precautions and CPR
- Indiana Foundations for Young Children
- Child Abuse and Neglect Detection and Prevention
- Safe Sleep Practices
- Food Service Sanitation and Safe Food handling
- Paths to Quality Orientation
- 20+ h of continuing education
Wages & Benefits
- Salary determined on education and experience.
- Benefits available - includes health, retirement, life insurance, disability, workers’ compensation insurance, child discount, and more.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and PTO. Paid bereavement, parental leave, and jury duty.
- Expectation is that the director or delegate is on site when school is in session. Additional hours can be remote by arrangement. School runs during the school year 9-3 M-Th, 9-12 F and 9-1 T-Th during the summer.
- $1000+ towards Professional Development (above the 20+ h of continuing education and other training)
- Paid membership in a nationally recognized Early Childhood organization.
Work Team (Serving approximately 75 children+)
- Administrative assistant and floaters
- Teaching staff (10+)
- Financial Secretary (assist with payroll and some budgeting)
- Pastor and Church Support Staff (custodial, office, music, maintenance)
- Preschool Board
- Parent Board
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $34,000.00 per year
See our Covid Response plan on our Preschool Website that details all of our Covid precautions. Highlights include additional floaters for cleaning, no mixing of classroom children, temporary curb side dropoff and pick up of children etc.
To apply, submit your information on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/preschool-director-8faa81f302a6923f
Our preschool program could always add more people to their sub list. For more information on any subbing opportunities, please contact Sarah Zell, our Director of Preschool, via telephone at (317)-873-3232 or via e-mail at .